Segger J-Link target interface disappears after upgrading to CrossWorks for ARM 2.1 [annoyance]

Follow

Comments

8 comments

  • Avatar
    Dieter Falk

    I have installed the CrossWorks ARM 2.1.0 for testing and left the previous version on my PC to have a fallback, because there have been many changes listed in the history.

    After executing the suggested workaround for the Segger J-Link, closing V2.1.0 and starting V2.0.11 the J-Link Target was not working anymore. I had to do the same "Restore Default Targets" to let it work again correctly. It seems to be that these two versions share some options data, and are not compatible.

    In addition to that, the new version had some verification error after download with J-Link. Therefore I switched back to the old version, waiting for some patch or new release to get a proper installation.

  • Avatar
    Bill Landolina

    The J-Link target can also disappear long after the 2.1 upgrade.  I've been running 2.1 for several weeks and suddenly the J-Link target disappeared.  Restore Default Targets corrected the problem.

  • Avatar
    Dieter Falk

    The Upgrade to V2.1.1 only partly solves this issue. The J-Link target properties still influence each other using V2.0.11 and V2.1.1 on one computer.

  • Avatar
    John Kraybill

    What's even more disturbing is that the property list in 2.1.1 is DIFFERENT from those in 2.0.11. Notably, the JTAG/Adaptive Clocking property is missing as is the J-Link/Command Strings property. Using what is there in 2.1.1 I am able to download using F5 but the initial breakpoint is not captured unless I use the Debug/Break command from the Debug menu (Ctrl-.).

  • Avatar
    Michael Johnson

    The best possible speed will select adaptive clocking if implemented.

    Which target device are you using?

  • Avatar
    John Kraybill

    I am using a proprietary device with an NPX LPC2478 with the J-Link Lite that came with the original FDI development board that we are no longer using. It works fine under 2.0.11 but for some reason I can't get the first break point (at main()) to show up on the source code unless I press Ctrl-. ((Debug>Break). During the time after the download and before I Break, the processor appears to be held in reset as far as I can tell.

     

    In version 2.0.11 I'm using the following Segger J-Link settings for the J-Link:

    J-Link

    Command Strings: SetCheckModeAfterRead=0

    Host Name:

    J-Link DLL File:C:/Program Files/SEGGER/JLinkARM_V422a/JLinkARM.dll

     

    JTAG

    Adaptive Clocking: Yes

    Target Interfac Type: JTAG

     

    Loader

    Erase All: No

    Erase All Timeout: 60,000 ms

    Loader Timeout: 10,000 ms

    No Load Sections:

     

    Target

    Processor Stop Timeout: 500 ms

    Restrict Memory Access: No

     

    For Crossworks version 2.1.1 I'm using the default Segger J-Link settings with the exception that I filled in the DLL file path and name. I have no idea what the Command Strings setting does from version 2.0.11, but that appears to be missing from the new version.

     

    I won't be able to upgrade to 2.1.1 until this is resolved so any help would be appreciated.

     

    Thanks,

    John Kraybill

  • Avatar
    Michael Johnson

    Could you download and try the latest JLink.DLL from the Segger website - something like 432a.

    The "Command Strings  | SetCheckModeAfterRead=0" has been replaced with the property "Verify Read Operations" this checks the CPSR after each read operation to see the CPU has aborted. The only part I know of that requires this to be set is the TI TMS470.

  • Avatar
    John Kraybill

    I already tried the new version, v4.32, of the Segger DLL and there was no difference. The change notes on the Segger DLL simply state that they added support for a few new processors so I wasn't very hopeful to begin with.

    If there's anything else you would like me to try please let me know. I'm happy to work on this with you.

Please sign in to leave a comment.